More than 2,000 people attended the funeral of the two women and three children (Shabbina Begum, 53. Her daughter Anum Parwaiz Kayani 20, Adyan Parwaiz Kayani 9, Amaan Parwaiz Kayani 7, and nine-week-old Minahil Parwaiz Kayani) who died in the blaze on Wake Road, Sheffield, on 28 April.

Firefighters from four stations used an aerial ladder to try and tackle the blaze that broke out at around midnight.

Witnesses said up to 300 neighbours went into the street to try and help the rescue efforts, which lasted into the early hours.

A South Yorkshire Police representative said: “Following a joint investigation, South Yorkshire Police and South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue have found that the most probable cause of the fatal house fire in Wake Road, Nether Edge, Sheffield, was an electrical fault involving a faulty charging device.

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue released a statement containing “general safety advice” about how to use the devices in order to help prevent electrical fires.

Regular PAT testing of devices, avoiding cheap counterfeit appliances and turning off chargers when not in use can all be useful in avoiding electrical appliance fires.