A woman suffered from smoke inhalation after a fire broke out inside a home in Dewsbury.

Firefighters were called to Russell Street, Westborough, at about 7pm today (Tuesday 13th March 2018). They found an electrical fire in the hallway of the home. Crews extinguished the flames using two hose reels and a positive pressure fan.

An ambulance was also called for a woman who had inhaled smoke during the fire. Smoke inhalation is the primary cause of death for victims of indoor fires. The inhalation or exposure to hot gaseous products of combustion can cause serious respiratory complications. Some 50–80% of fire deaths are the result of smoke inhalation injuries, including burns to the respiratory system.

Regular fixed wire testing can help reduce the risk of electrical fires by highlighting items that do not meet the current wiring regulations; they can be used like an action plan to improve the electrical safety of your home.